Tuesday, February 19, 2013

My Korean Food Adventure

The truth is that I basically don't eat Korean food. It's not that I don't like it, I just have a semi-fear of it. Part of the problem is that the time when we first got to Korea was the same time that I started having morning sickness. Until now the thought of Korean food, unless someone orders it for me, has reminded me of that. About the only time I really eat it now is when we go to the linger-longer after church each week except fast Sunday. Even then I eat reservedly. I want to go out and try some restaurants but I wouldn't even be able to order. 

I've noticed that Hyrum and I are just not eating enough vegetables. The kinds that I can find at the grocery stores, that won't require me to sell body parts to fund my shopping, are those that I don't really like or have no idea how to prepare. To fight this, I have started to try to make some of the dishes that I have had that I liked. It's a little tricky but so far it is going well!

I started out with a simple radish dish that turned out to be pretty good! Who would have thought that radishes could taste good?!

My next step was a little more interesting with dak juk, a chicken porridge, and geotjeori, a korean green salad. I made this on a night when Soren was not home but Hyrum and I thought it was pretty good. Sorry that I didn't get a picture of the salad.

Strengthened by good recipes and no morning sickness, I decided that for my third day of Korean cooking I would be a little more adventurous. Enter Kimchi Jjigae, a spicy fermented cabbage stew! I have heard stories about this soup. I can now confirm them. It's delicious! It's spicy! It's kimchi!
  
Seriously though, I had had some at the last linger longer and it was really good. My attempt turned out pretty great as well! Even Hyrum liked it. (Warning: Parents in favor of giving your toddlers bland food, LOOK AWAY!) 


These past three days have really helped get me more comfortable with cooking, and eating, Korean food. Now if only I had people to cook for! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment